Here are some things to remember during hurricane season, or if you receive a Hurricane Watch or Warning:
- Fill up your gas tank, everyone has seen people trying to get out of town, only to run out of gas in traffic.
- Charge any devices that you may need to use, especially cell phones and computers.
- Set your refrigerator and freezer to the lowest setting before the storm hits and make sure not to open it frequently so that your food stays cool and doesn't spoil. Consider putting a thermometer in your refrigerator to make sure that food is at an acceptable temperature. Temperatures about 40 degrees F rapidly grow bacteria.
- Ready your disaster supply kit, including; first aid, batteries and flashlights.
- Make sure you have enough food and other essential supplies in case you are flooded in or lose power.
- If there is a hurrican warning, defintely board up your windows and remove or secure any items that could blow over and cause damage in strong winds.
- Remember to stay safe and don't go into flooded waters, there can be hidden dangers in the water, and electrical currents from downed power lines.